Thursday, March 20, 2014

Women Are Not Your Enemies



I recently read an article about my girl crush Jennifer Lawrence, as to her various stints in the media: falling on the stairs to accept her Oscar, humiliating herself in front of Jack Nicholson, and more recently, tripping on the Red Carpet. 

The writer implied, that aligning with her profession, it was all just an act - she was pretending to be the cool girl so that others could relate to her, and ultimately - be adored.

Award winning actresses must uphold an image to be respected in the industry, but when someone like J-Law comes into focus and makes us normal people feel normal, the public and the industry cannot help but fall in love with her.

On the other hand, there will always be critics that will be, well, critical.

What does this have to do with me?
I have pondered with this thought, longer than I likely should have, but why is she being condemned for being the girl-next-door? Why can't she just be cool like that? Women are not always poised and perfect, we fall and then we laugh at ourselves, we have bodily functions just like everyone else, and some of us really do like to just drink beer and watch football with the boys.
I can't help but see myself in J-Law, she's clumsy, likes to get dirty, and plays platonically with boys. She is who she is, and I love her all the more for it.
A friend of mine wrote a blog post about how women need to empower one another, not in so many words but the message is there. She doesn't see other women as threats, instead she sees them as collective counterparts that understand her, and that we do.

Much to my dismay, I've encountered women with various degrees of insecurity, women outside of my circle. These are strong, powerful, and equally beautiful women who feel threatened by others.

Women need to empower one another, not be critical, judgmental, or sinister.

It does get better.

In my early twenties, I remember being dependent on others for my happiness. I had terrible relationships, friendships that would begin and end just as quickly, and employment that I was less than fond of.
 What we fail to realize is that at one point or another, every woman has felt insecure. For some of us, it develops into something more than what it should be and it starts to affect our relationships with men, friends, and family.

The closer I got to being 30, the more comfortable I became in my own skin; not only physically, I know I'll never get my 18 year old boobs back and be a perfect size two again, but spiritually and emotionally as well.

I embrace my flaws.
I am emotional. I get angry, sad, and at times, lonely. I laugh loudly and cry just as hard. I love with all my might; I am who I am and I cannot change it, so I embrace the heart I have on my sleeve.


The fact is that ALL women feel these emotions, we are all perfect and imperfect in our own ways. Some of us are genuine, those that are not will show their true colors eventually. Surround yourself with strong, beautiful women and your life will be better for it.

No one is perfect, but we all serve a purpose in this world and we make the best of our lives the best way we know possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment