Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Bachelorette Survival Guide - The Unavoidable 'Set-Up'

I love my married girlfriends, for many reasons they shape my mindset about relationships. Of course, sometimes, their husband will influence my standards, either by being complete sweethearts, or by being total douche bags. Either way, I live vicariously through them, if only to mold my own idea of the perfect relationships... for me.
For most of my married friends, I am their only single girlfriend. And while I should feel appreciated as such, there are some things that I cannot avoid, like the Set Up.

I'm no stranger to being set up, blindly or otherwise, but there are rules that you must follow if you ARE going to set me up with one of your single guy friends:
Don't tell me about it
I don't want to know that on Friday night, right before we go out, your cousin/neighbor/friend of a friend - twice removed - will be joining us and he just happens to be single. It's awkward and unnecessary.

If you must tell me, then you need to show me a photograph and give me a brief description of him. Don't assume that just because we are both single that we undoubtedly have a great deal in common. On that note, if he has kids - it is not an indication of compatibility either, rather it is a mutual understanding of lifestyle that is easily understood between us.
If you tell me, don't tell him

You can't tell us both about your intentions. If you tell me about the set up, don't tell him. I can disguise awkwardness with humor, but I don't trust that he can do the same, yet. Because I don't know him. Time will tell of course, but I don't like to take THAT many risks during the first meet and greet.

On that note, keep your excitement down - I committed to meeting him, not to marrying him.


Have the meeting in a casual setting, with beverages
Alcohol is our liquid courage; it helps expel any awkward moments and it may clear the lines of communication whilst opening the door to humor. If we're laughing, we're having fun.
While I'm on the topic, you have the responsibility of being the wing-man as well, this means:
  1. Never leave me alone with the guy, unless I give you a sign that it's OK
  2. If there's a lull in conversation, you must fill it - somehow
  3. And if you sense tension, or if it is clear that I don't like the guy - get me out of there pronto!
It's a matter of courtesy.
If we do hit it off, I got it
If we don't hit it off, and you are disappointed perhaps even saddened, you have no one to blame but yourself. I will not promise anything that I cannot deliver, especially for a first group date. We're adults and we will determine, on our own, if it warrants another meet-up. Of course if this does not happen, no blame will be placed on anyone; therefore, don't worry that I will no longer be your friend - you're still good shit.
Singles dread the unavoidable set-up but we'll humor you by complying with your request - sometimes.
Photo Credit:

No comments:

Post a Comment