Friday, March 07, 2014

Bachelor/Bachelorette Survival Guide - Adopted Traits


As we grow more accustomed to single life, bachelors and bachelorettes alike develop certain traits and characteristics that are difficult to break. Whilst I have dated men that had hard-to-break lifestyle tendencies, I've come to realize that perhaps, I am not any different from them.
Considering that my relationship status has never officially changed in the last eight years, I have not lived with a significant other since then; therefore, I have evidently developed habits, traits, and behaviors of a stereotypical bachelor. Throughout my existence, I have cohabited with diverse individuals, and I can adapt to various circumstances. While I am open-minded to the idea of cohabiting again, I do err on the side of caution, for his benefit – not mine.

Bathroom Etiquette

I rush, in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening – it’s typical behavior, so I’ve been known to leave my things such as jewelry, makeup, and socks on the bathroom floor. Naturally, this does not bother me, so I am less likely to nag at someone else to pick up their things – unless of course, my space has been compromised.

That said, I leave my bathroom countertop somewhat cluttered throughout the week, until it’s time to wipe it clean, or it irritates me – whatever comes first.
Closet Space

When you live in an apartment, ample space is not always provided, so we must adjust. My shopping addiction doesn't help matters; rather it has made it impossible to live in a neat fashion. I have adapted however, I bought a bigger dresser and I have removed both of my closet doors so I can use both sides.
Personal Time
There are some days that I enjoy my solidarity more than others, on those days, I am thankful for my empty space. I don’t have to talk to anyone if I don’t want to, I can belt out songs if the mood strikes, and I can even wear a face mask without frightening anyone – Because.I.Can.


Our Social Presence
Don’t be fooled, the social life of a bachelor is not as glamorous or adventurous as some would influence you to believe. I spent last weekend working, cleaning, and napping at various times during the day. I left the house for one reason, to get food so I could continue to hibernate. Of course, the weather didn’t make matters any better; but, it is not completely out of the ordinary for a bachelor to spend the weekend at home, alone. Like everyone else, sometimes that’s exactly what we need, or for reasons beyond our control, we just can’t go out.

The moral of this subtopic – bachelors are people too. We stay in for the same reasons, if not for legitimate reasons such as our married counterparts.

I have however, gone out at random times, spontaneously. Typically, if it's not planned, it is the best time. 
Work-aholics

We value our friends and family just as much as the next guy; but, we do have the opportunity to spend more time on or at work, and it can be our salvation. Furthermore, working is refreshing and empowering to the bachelor. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but that's how it is for me in my career.

Bachelors live in solidarity, but we're not alone. We've adapted behavior patterns that may differ from that of others but it's not any different than comparing age demographic. We are essentially a demographic, but occasionally mistaken for a stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment