Thursday, February 13, 2014

My New Approach to Valentine's Day



Valentine's Day is only days away, and while my single-white-female sense tells me to rebel against the most popular Hallmark Holiday of the year, I've decided to take a different approach; a more realistic approach to the most dreaded day for singles.

A partner doesn't complete me

You know that look you get right after you tell someone that you're not in a relationship, the head tilt and Awwww?

My response to that completely unacceptable depiction that somehow I am unfortunate to not have a man in my life is the following - I'm in a relationship with myself and it's going very well. Not only can I tolerate me, but I think I'm in love.

Being alone doesn't mean that I am not happy; it means that I have revised and perfected my standards and it will just take a little longer than expected for a man to reach those expectations.

You don't have a date on Valentine's Day?

No, I don't, but I don't want you to feel sorry for me because my lifestyle is different than yours; be happy that I have found a place of serenity, peace, and strength; I am!

While you are out with your husband, boyfriend, or flavour of the month know that there is no confusion in my life; know that I have raised my standards high enough so that someone could strive to reach them but not too high to discourage those that make the attempt.

I am not high maintenance; I have just lived and learned enough to know what I want, what I don't want, and what I deserve. I am happy with who I am and who I have become. Love will follow suit.

Tell me what I want to hear

And then of course, I get the advice that I clearly didn't ask for - not because I am bitter or jaded in any way, but because I have heard it time and time again. Singles just want to be understood and treated the same way; we're not any different than other people except for the fact that we spend more time alone. Instead of focusing on what I don't have in my life, be proud for the things that I have accomplished - on my own!

I understand that the need for companionship is only natural, but I refuse to rush something that may not be right for me at this time. For that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment