Monday, March 25, 2013

Is American Eagle Outfitters's Marketing Campaign effective?


 
Marketing is defined as is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers; marketing might sometimes be interpreted as the art of selling products.
As I came across the latest American Eagle Outfitters 'Marketing Campaign', it got me thinking... How is this defined as a marketing campaign?

As tempting as it is for me to provide you with market share information about my (once) favorite brand, I will not allow others to suffer. Finance is NOT my forte, and I am not ashamed to admit that. I did however find an article published in 2011 (it may be a little old) that stated that the brand was suffering in 'lowest shares in years'.
You don't need to be a financial expert to know that the brand may have been suffering from low consumer sales.

So, how does a (failing) brand reintroduce themselves in a highly competitive market?
I came across this story on Twitter. Intrigued, I continued to their Facebook page to find that they have posted an interview with Bob Holobinko, VP of Brand Marketing on The Today Show. He said that the company wanted to have fun with a new marketing campaign, and THAT they have.

After being asked twice if the company actually sells the spray paint they used in the video and on their website, the company responded by saying NO; they are NOT selling the paint. They are however, hoping consumers will go on their website to buy other items.

I will return to my original question... If the paint cans are NOT for sale, then HOW is this a marketing campaign?
A Public Relations Campaign is defined as an advertising campaign intended to improve public relations.

I'd say that this is a successful attempt in reigniting the American Eagle Outfitters brand. It's getting people talking. It's peaked my interest (on a PR perspective), I am now following them on Twitter and Facebook, I want to know how this campaign turns out.
As much as I enjoy looking at a man's backside but THIS may be a little awkward....

I'm going to throw this out to you now, as a consumer... Do you think this is an effective campaign? Will you shop AEO after seeing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment